Keywords : modified palm tree technique
Outcome of proximal humerus fractures treated with k wire fixation by modified palm tree technique
European Journal of Molecular & Clinical Medicine,
2022, Volume 9, Issue 2, Pages 2387-2393
Introduction: Proximal Humerus fractures constitute nearly 5% of all fractures. These days most fractures are treated by Open Reduction and Internal fixation (ORIF) with locking plates. However, ORIF with Locking Plates is associated with complications such as periosteal stripping, excessive soft tissue dissection, and avascular necrosis of the Humeral head. K wire fixation by Modified Palm tree technique is an alternative with minimal soft tissue dissection and fewer chances of avascular necrosis. We here describe our clinical experience with the modified Palm tree Technique.
Methods: This was a Prospective study. Thirty patients who fulfilled the inclusion criteria were enrolled in the study. Baseline data including Age, Gender, and Type of fracture were noted. They were operated by closed reduction and K wire fixation by modified Palm tree technique. At the follow up the patients were evaluated for their Range of motion and the functional outcome was analyzed with Constant Murley Score.
Results: A total of 30 patients were enrolled in the study. One patient was lost to follow-up and was removed from the final data analysis. Out of these 29 patients, 16 patients (55.17%) were males, and the rest 13 (44.83%) were females. The patients were followed up for a period of 14.45 ± 1.97 months with the range of follow-up being 12-18 months. All the fractures achieved union. One patient developed Avascular Necrosis of the Humerus head. The mean abduction was found to be 124.83⁰ ± 14.30⁰. The mean forward flexion was found to be 130.34⁰ ± 15.29⁰. The mean External Rotation was found to be 46.07⁰ ± 4.83⁰. The Constant Shoulder Score was found to be 74.34 ± 11.46.
Conclusion: Modified Palm tree Technique is a reliable technique for the fixation of Proximal Humerus Fractures.