A study to evaluate the clinical characteristics and outcome of patients admitted in PICU at tertiary care facility
European Journal of Molecular & Clinical Medicine,
2020, Volume 7, Issue 8, Pages 5872-5877
AbstractAim: The aim of the present study was to identify the clinical profile and outcome of children admitted in PICU.
Methods: A retrospective, descriptive study was conducted in the Department of Pediatrics, Darbhanga Medical College & Hospital, Laheriasarai, Bihar, India for 1 year.. 210 children less than 14 years admitted to PICU with complete patient information along with the investigation reports in the medical records were included in the study. Outcome was noted as discharge/against medical advice/referred. History, examination details, investigations done was noted.
Results: Out of 210 patients, 158 (75.24%) were males and remaining 52(24.76%) were females. Male to female ratio was 3.03:1. Maximum numbers of patients were in the age group of below 1 year which constituted 115 (54.76%) cases. Central nervous system was the commonest system involved (n=72, 34.29%). Next infections involved was (n=42, 20%). Other common causes were respiratory system (n=34, 16.19%), cardiovascular (n= 22, 10.48%), gastro intestinal (n=9, 4.28%), haematological (n=10,4.76%) and renal (n=8, 3.81%) system causes. This was followed by metabolic causes (n=6, 2.86%), Down syndrome (n = 3, 1.43%) and poisoning in 4 (1.90%) cases. Out of the 210 patients admitted to PICU, 51 (24.28%) patients’ died.
Conclusion: The present study highlights neurological, respiratory and gastrointestinal disorders to be the leading cause of admissions in PICU, catering to the needs of critical care of the in-patients from Pediatric Medicine and in-patients of pediatric age from other specialities and super specialties. This study is therefore conducted to audit the pattern of cases being admitted into the PICU of this tertiary care teaching hospital and their outcome.
- Article View: 3
- PDF Download: 7