A clinical investigation to evaluate the menstrual pattern and problems among adolescent girls
European Journal of Molecular & Clinical Medicine,
2020, Volume 7, Issue 11, Pages 9065-9069
AbstractAim: to determine the menstrual pattern and various menstrual problems among urban adolescent girls.
Material and methods: This was a cross sectional study conducted in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Venkateshwara Institute of Medical Sciences, Gajraula, Uttar Pradesh, India, for 6 months. 100 adolescent girls randomly who presented with menstrual problems in gynaecology OPD were included in this study. Total of 100 girls were asked to fill up a questionnaire which included questions like age of menarche, pattern of menstruation, duration and amount of flow, number of pads used.
Result: This study shows Majority of girls (62%) attained their menarche between 10-13 years of age and remaining 38% were in the age group of 14-16 years. Majority of girls had problem of oligomenorrea (59%). 30% of girls had normal cycle length of 21-35 days and only 11% had frequent bleeding with cycle length less than 21 days. But duration (3-7days) and quantity of flow was normal in maximum girls 79% and 61% respectively. Excessive flow with passage of clots or duration of flow for more than 7 days was noted in 21% and 14% of girls respectively. Only 7% had flow for less than 2 days. Menstruation is associated with multiple morbidities, in our study majority of girls had problem of oligomenorrhea (59%) followed by dysmenorrhea (53%) and menorrhagia (21%). Dysmenorrhea was the main reason of absenteeism from school (with 42.86%). Menorrhagia was the second most common reason (21.43%) for absenteeism from school. Third main reason was menorrhagia along with Dysmenorrhea (14.28%).
Conclusion: Menstrual problems are present in majority of girls in the study group which has some effect on the academic performance and other extracurricular activities in school.
- Article View: 36
- PDF Download: 55