A retrospective study on clinico-demographic and outcome profile of patients admitted in PICU
European Journal of Molecular & Clinical Medicine,
2020, Volume 7, Issue 10, Pages 4384-4389
AbstractAim: To evaluate the clinical profile and outcome of children admitted in PICU.
Methods: A retrospective, descriptive study was conducted in the Department of Pediatrics, Anugrah Narayan Magadh Medical College and Hospital, Gaya, Bihar, India for 1 year from April 2019 to March 2020. 180 children of age less than 14 years admitted to PICU with complete patient information along with the investigation reports in the medical records were included in the study. Outcome was noted as discharge, discharge against medical advice, referred or death. History, examination details and investigations done was noted.
Results: Out of these 180 patients, 132 (73.33%) were males and remaining 48 (26.67%) were females. Male to female ratio was 2.75:1. Maximum numbers of patients were in the age group of more than 28 days to 1 year which constituted 99 (55%) cases. Central nervous system involvement was the commonest (34.44%) cause for PICU admission followed by sepsis/infections (19.44%). Down’s syndrome was present in 1.11% case. Out of the 180 patients admitted to PICU, 40 (22.22%) patients died.
Conclusion: Children under 5 years of age constituted the major load of the patients in our PICU. Neurological problems, infectious diseases, respiratory illness and poisoning were the most common cause for PICU admissions.
- Article View: 46
- PDF Download: 82