Evaluation of Transiently Evoked Oto-Acoustic Emissions in Children with Otitis Media Effusion: An Institutional Based Study
European Journal of Molecular & Clinical Medicine,
2022, Volume 9, Issue 3, Pages 2273-2277
AbstractBackground: Otitis media with effusion (OME) is one of the most common childhood diseases and can affect about 2/3 of children in the first 5 years of life. The present study was conducted to evaluate transiently evoked oto-acoustic emissions in children with otitis media effusion.
Material and methods: The present study was conducted to evaluate transiently evoked oto-acoustic emissions in children with otitis media effusion. A group of 50 children with bilateral otitis media with effusion was included in the study. 50 normal children of similar age and sex were used as controls. Both patients and controls underwent clinical otologic and audiological evaluation.
Results: The results showed thatin 68 ears of the patients (68%) otoacoustic emissions were absent. In the remaining 32 ears (32%) the mean emission amplitude was reduced, compared to the mean value of the control group. In 79 of the 100 ears of controls clear TEOAEs were recorded. Comparison of signal-to-noise ratios by independent sample t-test between the two groups showed statistically significant differences. In all cases the values of the patients were lower than the mean value of the controls.
Conclusion: The present study concluded that TEOAEs should be included in the diagnostic workup of otitis media with effusion.
- Article View: 18
- PDF Download: 59