A Study to Correlate Preoperative Ultrasonographic Tirads Scoring System and Postoperative Histopathology of Thyroid Swellings
European Journal of Molecular & Clinical Medicine,
2022, Volume 9, Issue 3, Pages 2451-2460
AbstractBackground:Aim & Objectives: To correlate preoperative TIRADS scoring system with postoperative histopathology of thyroid swellings.
Materials and Methods: A total of 66 patients of thyroid swellings who were treated at the Department of General Surgery, Govt Medical College, Nalgonda, with an age range of 20 – 68 years, were evaluated in this study with respect to age, sex, symptoms type and symptom duration and were investigated with routine hemogram, thyroid profile, FNAC and USG with TIRADS score. The results of USG TIRADS score were compared with the histopathology after excision of the thyroid swelling.
Results: Thyroid swellings are more common in females than in males (M:F ratio = 1:4). Majority of the patients are in the age group of 30-50 years. Swelling in front of the neck is the most common complaint. Majority of the patients had an average duration of symptoms of 6months to 3 years. On clinical evaluation all patients had swelling of thyroid. On USG with TIRADS scoring, TIRADS – 3 is the most common category of the thyroid swelling with 30 patients (45%). On USG TIRADS score, majority were benign lesions 55 (83%), while the rest were malignant 11 (17%). On histopathology, 55 lesions (83%) were benign, while 11 lesions (17%) were malignant. Incidence of malignancy with respect to TIRADS score is TIRADS 2- 4%, TIRADS 3 – 16.7%, TIRADS 4 – 50%, TIRADS 5 – 0%. The present study has a USG TIRADS score sensitivity of 45.5%, specificity of 89.1%, positive predictive value of 45.5%, negative predictive value of 89.1% and accuracy of 81.8%. The prevalence of malignancy among the patients with thyroid swellings in the present study is 16.7%. USG proved to be a more sensitive modality to evaluate the nodularity of thyroid swellings than clinical evaluation.
Conclusion: The present study was undertaken to evaluate the usefulness of clinical evaluation and USG TIRADS score in management of thyroid nodules High resolution ultrasound is an accurate technique, that has helped to analyse the suspicious sonographic features of thyroid swellings and to assess the risk of malignancy and quantify it using TIRADS score.
- Article View: 72
- PDF Download: 104