Estimation Of The Point Prevalence Of Adverse Drug Reactions Of Platinum Compounds In Lung Cancer Patients And To Establish Cause Effect Relationship Of Each Adverse Drug Reaction Using Appropriate Scales
European Journal of Molecular & Clinical Medicine,
2022, Volume 9, Issue 4, Pages 769-778
AbstractBackground: The aim of the present study was to monitor the prevalence of Adverse Drug Reactions to commonly used platinum compounds in lung cancer patients and also to establish cause effect relationship of each adverse drug reaction using appropriate scales. It was a prospective observational study.
Methods:A observational study conducted in the ADRM centre established in Department of Pharmacology using the suspected ADR reporting form in collaboration with Radiation Oncology Department, Government Medical College, Jammu after IEC permission.New and old diagnosed cases of lung cancer patients belonging to either gender and of all ages, who were receiving platinum under any standard regimen, were included for the study.Patients other than lung cancer receiving platinum therapy, receiving concomitant chemo- radiotherapy,any ADR due to medication error, overdosage, poisoning were excluded. The suspected ADRs were classified in term of casuality using WHO-UMC scale. The cause and effect relationship of each ADR was assessed by using Naranjos Probability scale.
Results:There were a total of 98 patients with adverse drug reactions reported from the study.The majority of patients were smokers and/or alcoholics and in the age group of 61-80.The largest number of reports was associated with cisplatin 48 (48.97%) followed by carboplatin 38 (38.77 %) and oxaliplatin 12 (12.24%) . Most frequently reported ADR was vomitingfollowed by anemia .The frequency of deranged LFT’s was 4 (3.50%) and elevation in creatinine was 4 (3.50%). It was observed that gastrointestinal system accounted for 51 (44.73%) ADR cases, followed by hematological system 28 (24.56%) and dermatological system 12 (10.52%). Validation of the causality assessment severity was done by Naranjo’s scale which classified 65 (66.32%) to be probable and remaining 33 (33.67%) to be possible.Regarding management of ADRs I,ntervention was done in 48(48.97%) of the patients. The current study depicted 47(47.95%) ADR cases as fully recovered, 22(22.44%) cases as recovering.
Conclusion: Platinum compounds have a high potential to cause various adverse effects in lung cancer patients. As most of the ADRs were preventable, hence warranting urgent attention and remedial intervention.
- Article View: 52
- PDF Download: 86