DIAGNOSTIC UTILITY OF MRI FINDINGS COMPARED TO PER-OPERATIVE FINDINGS IN LUMBAR INTERVERTEBRAL DISC PROLAPSE PATIENTS
European Journal of Molecular & Clinical Medicine,
2022, Volume 9, Issue 4, Pages 1006-1013
AbstractBackground: Diagnosis of syndromes related to lumbar spine has improved with use of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). Neurological signs of herniated lumbar disc are important to make a decision whether to operate the patient or not. Hence, clinical examination is also important in patients with herniated lumbar disc.
Objective: To study diagnostic utility of MRI findings compared to per-operative findings in Lumbar intervertebral disc prolapse patients
Methods: Hospital based diagnostic evaluation study was carried out among 30 patients having signs and symptoms of herniated lumbar disc. All the consecutive patients presenting with low back ache (LBA) and sciatica admitted were thoroughly examined. Neurological examination, X-ray Lumbar Spine AP and lateral, MRI were done. MRI lumbar spine was graded as per Michigan scale. Surgery was done electively under general anesthesia in prone position. Patients were followed to assess the pain.
Results: Both MRI and per-operative findings agreed on the actual finding of zone of disc prolapse in 24 (80%) of the cases and differed in remaining six (20%) of the cases. The sensitivity of MRI compared to per-operative finding in diagnosing central zone of disc prolapse was 84.6% of cases and 76.5% in diagnosing lateral zone of disc prolapse. The outcome of surgery was excellent in 43.3% of cases followed by fair in 50% of the cases. It was poor in only two cases.
Conclusion: Subjects in the age groups 40-59 years were commonly affected MRI is a very sensitive in detecting symptomatic lumbar disc prolapse
- Article View: 72
- PDF Download: 75