A PROSPECTIVE STUDY ON MATERNAL FETAL OUTCOME IN TEENAGE PREGNANCY
European Journal of Molecular & Clinical Medicine,
2022, Volume 9, Issue 4, Pages 2073-2084
AbstractBackground: To find out the strategies for prevention of problems associated with teenage pregnancy.
Materials and Methods: A Prospective study was conducted over a period of one year from January 2020 to December 2020 at Government General Hospital, Kurnool in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology which is being a tertiary care centre.
Results: The incidence of teenage pregnancy during the study period from January 1 2020 – December 31 2020 in Government Medical College, Kurnool was 9.86% 57.1% of the study population were 19 yrs, 38.5% were 18 yrs and the age of 3.9% & 0.5% of the teenage mothers was 17 years and 15 years respectively. Mean age was 18.52 years. 79.5% of the teenage mothers were primigravida. 1.5% of the teenage pregnancies were out of wedlock pregnancy, the rest 98.5% were married. 43.5% of the teenage mothers were married at the age of 18 years, 39.5% of them at 17 years of age, 10.5% at 16 years and 4% and 1% at 15 and 14 years of age respectively. 71% of the teenage pregnant were residing in rural areas and 29% in urban areas. 70% of the teenage pregnant were Hindus, 26.5% were Muslims and 3.5% were Christians. About 56% had primary education, 32.4% had secondary education and 11.6% were illiterate. 87.5 % of the study population belonged to lower class of socio-economic status. Cephalopelvic disproportion is the most common indication for LSCS. 2.8% of the teenage pregnant women had breech presentation as an indication for LSCS. 89.7% of the study population had an Apgar of 8-10 at 5min. 44.1% of the newborn required NICU admission and the reason for admission was low birth weight, preterm, IUGR, hyperbilirubinemia, birth asphyxia and meconium aspiration syndrome. 89.8% of the newborn had good neonatal outcome. 99.88% of the teenage pregnant women had good maternal outcome. Only one maternal death was seen during 1 year period in teenage pregnant women.
Conclusion: Good prenatal, intranatal, and postnatal services, as well as good neonatal, contraceptive, and abortion choices, all contribute to reduce the dangers associated with teenage pregnancies to a considerable extent. With all of these measures in place, we may expect a global drop in teen pregnancy rates and difficulties in the next years.
- Article View: 58
- PDF Download: 163