COMPARISON OF PIPELLE ENDOMETRIAL SAMPLING VERSUS DILATATION AND CURETTAGE IN CASES OF ABNORMAL UTERINE BLEEDING
European Journal of Molecular & Clinical Medicine,
2022, Volume 9, Issue 4, Pages 2338-2359
AbstractBackground: Pipelle endometrial sampling versus Dilatation and curettage in collecting a sufficient endometrial sample for histopathological diagnosis was the subject of this observational clinical correlation diagnostic study. Aim: The present study is done in our hospital to know if Pipelleaspiration endometrial sampling can replace D&C for histological examination in cases of AUB.
Materials and Methods: This was an observational clinical correlation diagnostic study designed to compare the efficacy of Pipelle endometrial sampling with Dilatation and curettage in obtaining an adequate endometrial sample for histopathological diagnosis. After obtaining informed consent to participate and determining fitness for the procedure, 100 patients who reported with AUB to the Department of Obstetrics &Gynaecology at Government Medical College, Kadapa, were enrolled in the study. The study was carried out from October 2019 to September 2021. The patient underwent a thorough clinical evaluation in the outpatient department, which included a history, physical examination, and baseline investigations. Prior to the procedure, TAS/TVS were done. Endometrial sampling was performed using the Pipelle device, followed by a diagnostic reference standard and D&C endometrial sampling under anaesthesia.
Results: The most common age group presented with AUB is between 41 and 45 years. Most of the patients (45%) had < 6months duration of AUB. Pre and perimenopausalwomen made up 94% of the study population, whereas postmenopausal women made up 6%. Among the study group, 4% were nulliparous, and the remaining 96% were parous women. Of the study group, the ET thickness varies as - 13 had < 6mm, 18 had ET between 6.1- 9mm, 50 had ET between 9.1-12mm, 13 had ET between 12.1-15mm, 4 constitute between 15.1-18mm, 2 had >18mm ET. In Pipelle and D & C, sampling inadequacy was significantly more in menopausal women compared to pre-menopausal women. (P<0.05). In 16 cases, Pipelle sampling was deemed challenging. Sampling was difficult in nulliparous women when compared to parous women. Histopathology reports were obtained in 93 of the 100 Pipelle samples and 94 of the 100 D&C samples in current study. The most frequent endometrial pattern observed was Hyperplasia without atypia (21%) , followed by proliferative phase of the endometrium (20%), no evidence of malignancy (14%), Secretory phase (11%), disordered proliferative phase (11%), atrophic endometrium (4%), nonsecretory phase in (4%), endometrial polyp (2%), Hyperplasia with atypia (2%), early secretory phase (1%), endometrial carcinoma (1%), late secretory phase (1%), Endometrial glandular hypertrophy (1%). When comparing Pipelle to D&C, the chi-square test shows that Pipelle has a sensitivity of 98.9% for retrieving sufficient tissue and a specificity of 100%. The positive predictive value is 100 percent, while the negative predictive value is 85.7%. The p-value estimated is< 0 .001, which is statistically significant. Out of 100 cases that had Pipelle sampling, 91 had no complications. 5 had pain, and 4 had bleeding. Out of 100 cases that had D & C, 59 had no complications, 29 had pain, 5 had bleeding, and 7 had both pain and bleeding.
Conclusion: Pipelle sampling can be used as an effective screening procedure in the outpatient department.
- Article View: 88
- PDF Download: 96