Abnormal Hysteroscopic Findings in Patients with Infertility
European Journal of Molecular & Clinical Medicine,
2022, Volume 9, Issue 6, Pages 860-866
AbstractBackground: To describe the hysteroscopy findings in a group of 504 infertile women and correlate the findings available with other diagnostic modalities mainly HSG.
Martial and Methods: After obtaining the consent, the hysteroscopic procedures were carried out in the proliferative phase of the menstrual cycle. Size and position of the uterus was confirmed by bimanual examination. Any abnormality of uterine cavity, endometrium, and uterine ostia were noted and corrective measures were taken accordingly in the same setting. Post procedure follow-up of these patients were done and pregnancy outcomes were noted.
Results: The normal hysteroscopy findings were reported in 223 women (73.84%). Remaining 79(26.16%) had abnormal findings, most commonly being endometrial polyps (32%) and intrauterine adhesions (29%) and rest were septum, T-shaped uterus, chronic tubercular endometritis, and sub mucosal fibroids.
Conclusion: We concluded that HSG can detect uterine abnormalities, but findings have to be confirmed by hysteroscopy. Hysteroscopy should be performed in all infertile women with abnormal HSG and those who fail to conceive after normal HSG findings as incidental lesions can be missed on HSG.
- Article View: 13
- PDF Download: 9