Drug Resistant Tuberculosis – Clinical profile and Resistance pattern in tertiary care teaching hospital.
European Journal of Molecular & Clinical Medicine,
2022, Volume 9, Issue 7, Pages 548-554
AbstractBackground: This drug resistant TB is a growing concern around the world. It accounts for huge financial and public health burden. Though drug resistant TB is not new to India but proper surveillance and treatment remains the mainstay in tackling this global problem. The primary objective was to study the clinical profile and drug resistance pattern of TB patients. The Secondary objective was to effectively diagnose and treat the DR TB.
Methodology: It was a cross sectional observational study conducted at department of General medicine at Raichur Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS), Raichur. All the patients of Drug resistant tuberculosis (DR TB) who attended RIMS were included in the study. All the patients with drug resistance pattern were included in the study after taking their consent. Statistical analysis was done using SPSS Ver 21.
Results: A total of 552 TB cases were screened for drug resistance. Out of them 39 were found to drug resistant TB. The mean age of presentation in males was 39.92 years and in females it was 36.08 years. Patients who completed higher education and who were employed were more in number compared to others. All the classical symptoms of TB like cough with expectoration, fever, shortness of breath was seen in these patients. Among the 39 DR TB patients, 30 patients had previously suffered from TB. Out of these 30 patients, 18 (60%) were defaulters, 7 (23%) were irregular and 4 (14%) were treatment failure. Thirty two (82.05%) patient showed resistance to either Rifampicin or INH and remaining 7 (17.95%) patients showed resistance to both rifampicin and INH.
Conclusion: Drug resistance was predominantly mono resistance to either rifampicin or INH but MDR TB were also seen. Patients were educated regarding treatment compliance
- Article View: 83
- PDF Download: 94