Arthroscopic Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction Using Hamstring Tendon – A Prospective Study
European Journal of Molecular & Clinical Medicine,
2022, Volume 9, Issue 7, Pages 7875-7881
AbstractBackground:The standard approach for anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injuries has historically been arthroscopic ACL reconstruction. It's a minimally invasive treatment that allows the surgeon to understand the derangement of the knee joint. The aim of arthroscopic ACL reconstruction is to restore normal kinematics in the knee joint. The goal of this research was to evaluate the results of Anatomic single bundle ACL reconstruction with hamstring tendon.
Methods: The prospective clinical study was conducted in the Orthopaedic Department, Dr Moopens Medical College formerly DM WIMS Wayanad, Kerala on 36 patients 31(86.11%) males and 5(13.88%) females with chronic ACL tear treated with the hamstring tendon for reconstruction of the anterior cruciate ligament in all patients during the period from June 2019 to December 2021.
Results: There were 31 men (86.11%) and 5 women (13.88%) among the 36 patients. About 25 patients (69.44%) had right-sided ACL injuries, whereas the remaining 11 (30.55%) had left-sided ACL injuries. IKDC SCORE was improved from 42.45 with SD of 9.68 preoperatively to 81.87with SD of 13.40 postoperatively.
Conclusion: Anatomic anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction with hamstring tendon is more effective at replicating the anatomy of the ACL and achieving favourable clinical results.
- Article View: 4
- PDF Download: 9