To Study The Seroprevalence Of Transfusion Transmitted Infections Amongst Blood Donor
European Journal of Molecular & Clinical Medicine,
2023, Volume 10, Issue 1, Pages 5117-5122
AbstractAim: To study the seroprevalence of transfusion transmitted infections amongst blood donors.
Materials and Method: This particular research was a hospital-based cross-sectional investigation. There were a total of one thousand donors involved in the research project, including both voluntary and replacement donors. Donors who agreed to have their blood drawn were chosen for the procedure in accordance with the blood bank's regular operating procedure. A thorough history and examination of the patient were performed. Participants comprised only healthy replacement and voluntary donors who had passed the health screening. In accordance with established procedures, this serum was analysed for the presence of HIV, HBV, HCV, Syphilis, and Malaria.
Result: Replacement donors accounted for 910 (91%) of the total blood donors, while voluntary donors made up the remaining 9% of the total. Out of a total of 1000 blood units that were examined, there were 50 that tested positive for a transfusion-transmitted infection (TTI), which resulted in a prevalence rate of 5%. There were a total of 50 seropositive units, 45 of which came from replacement donors (4.94%), while the remaining 5 units (5.56%) came from volunteer donors. The seroprevalence for HIV, HBV, and HCV were respectively 0.20%, 1.50%, and 2.20%, while the seroprevalence for syphilis was 1.10%.
Conclusion: Following the implementation of required testing of blood units, a discernible trend towards a declining incidence of transfusion-transmitted infections (TTI) has been seen. Despite this, it is possible that the danger may not be eradicated since the donors may still be in the window period and have the ability to spread the virus.
- Article View: 9
- PDF Download: 33