Clinical profile of organophosphorus poisoning patients admitted at a tertiary health care center
European Journal of Molecular & Clinical Medicine,
2023, Volume 10, Issue 3, Pages 1227-1234
AbstractAcute pesticide poisoning has become major public health problem world-wide. Among pesticides organo-phosphorous compounds have become a boon to farmers to control pest and insects affecting plants and crops, and also the widespread use and easy availability of this toxic substances have resulted in many cases of accidental and suicidal poisoning. The aim is to find out demographic social and clinical profile which will help to reduce the risk of poisoning Aim & Objective: 1. To study incidence, clinical, social and demographic profile of organophosphorus poisoning patients. 2. To study the complication and outcome of organophosphorus poisoning patients. Methods: Study design: Cross sectional Observational Study. Study setting: Medicine ward of tertiary care center. Study duration: From 01/01/2019 to 30/06/2020. Study population: The study population included all the cases with OP poisoning admitted at a tertiary care center. Sample size: 107 Results: Most common age of presentation was 21-30 years with 52(48.60%) patients followed by 31-40 years 19(17.76%) patients. There were 78(72.9%) patients were male and the rest 29(27.1%) were female. Male: Female ratio was 2.69:1. A large no. of study patients were having Social and domestic problems 42(39.25%) followed by patients with other reasons like alcohol abuse, Chronic illnesses, Psychiatric disorders, Failure in examination etc in 20(18.69%). Most common mode of the poisoning was suicidal in 80.37% of the study patients followed by accidental in 15.89% cases. There were 3.4% case of homicidal OP poisoning. Most common symptom of the presentation was Excessive salivation in 77 (71.96%) followed by Nausea/ Vomiting 61(57.01%),while 43.93% patients were having breathlessness. Among different signs present in the study patients miosis was the most common 55(51.40%) followed by fasciculations 51(47.66%), bradycardia 48(44.86%), increased bronchial secretions 29(27.1%), neck muscle weakness in 28(26.17%). Oro nasal frothing was present in 9.35% of the study patients. Respiratory failure developed in 6(5.61%), 4 (3.74%) each suffered from Aspiration pneumonia and Circulatory collapse. Out of 107 study patients 93(86.92%) were alive after the treatment was given while rest 14(13.08%) succumbed to death. Conclusion: Our study outlines the various demographic groups susceptible to organophosphorus poisoning and the various factors responsible. Our study also highlights the importance of early presentation, reflected by our comparatively lower mortality rate. Health education of farmers and agricultural labourers is important for reducing incidents of poisoning.
- Article View: 11
- PDF Download: 33