A Prospective Observational Study To Assess The Complications Of Caesarean Section During Second Stage Of Labor In A Tertiary Care Hospital
European Journal of Molecular & Clinical Medicine,
2020, Volume 7, Issue 10, Pages 3062-3067
AbstractAim: to evaluate the maternal and neonatal outcome of caesarean section in second stage of labour.
Material and Methods: This prospective observational study was carried out in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Anugrah Narayan Magadh Medical College and Hospital Gaya, Bihar, India for one year. Total 200 patients were included into the study. All caesarean sections performed at full cervical dilatation over this time period.
Results: Among the 200 patient’s majority of them were in the age group of 20-30 years (73.5%) . about 77.5% of the patients were primigravidae and only the remaining 22.5% were multigravida. 82.5% of patients from BPL socioeconomic class and 17.5% only from APL socioeconomic class. The commonest indications for doing caesarean section in the second stage of labour were cephalo pelvic disproportion, fetal distress and obstructed labour. Incidence of PPH was 27 out of 200 cases (13.5%). Post-operative wound infection was seen in 12(6%) and Post-operative fever was seen in 32(16%) out of 200 cases. There were no cases of maternal deaths reported. The mean operative time was 51.7 min .The mean length of hospital stays was 6.8 days .Mean weight of the babies of the second stage caesarean section was 3.4kg. 11(5.5%) babies were admitted to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit and 26 (13%) to neonatal nursery for management of respiratory distress, sepsis, jaundice, and observation.25(12.5%) babies had Neonatal jaundice and There were 2 neonatal deaths reported.
Conclusion: Caesarean sections during the second stage are increasing in prevalence and are associated with significant long-term psychological and physical maternal morbidity
- Article View: 148
- PDF Download: 250