Assessment Of The Clinical Profile And Outcome Of Children Admitted In PICU At Tertiary Care Hospital
European Journal of Molecular & Clinical Medicine,
2020, Volume 7, Issue 11, Pages 4759-4764
AbstractAim: The aim of the present study was to identify the clinical profile and outcome of children admitted in PICU.
Materials and methods: A retrospective, descriptive study was conducted in the Department of Pediatrics, Anugrah Narayan Magadh Medical College and Hospital, Gaya, Bihar, India for 1 year. 200 children less than 14 years admitted to PICU with complete patient information along with the investigation reports in the medical records were included in the study. Outcome was noted as discharge/against medical advice/referred. History, examination details, investigations done was noted.
Results: Total of 200 patients were admitted in PICU. Out of these 200 patients, 150 (75%) were males and remaining 50 (25%) were females. Male to female ratio was 3:1. Maximum numbers of patients were in the age group of more than 28 days to 1 year which constituted 111 (55.5%) cases. This was followed by 1 year to less than 5 years age group which constituted 49. (i.e. 24.5%) cases. Under 5 years aged children constituted 160 (80%) cases. Next most common age group admitted was 5 years to 10 years with 29 (i.e. 14.5%) cases and 10 to 14 years age group constituted 11 (5.5%) cases. Table 2 shows the system wise cause of admission of patients to PICU. Central nervous system was the commonest system involved (n=67, 33.5%). Next system commonly involved was respiratory system (n=39, 19.5%). Other common causes were infections (n=32, 16%), cardiovascular (n= 22, 11%), gastro intestinal (n=9, 4.5%), haematological (n=11,5.5%) and renal (n=8,4%) system causes. This was followed by metabolic causes (n=6, 3%), Down syndrome (n = 3, 1.5%) and poisoning in 3 (1.5%) cases. Out of the 200 patients admitted to PICU, 53 (26.5%) patients’ died. 111(55.5%) cases improved and were shifted to general ward and later discharged. 36 (18%) cases constituted of those who were shifted to higher centre or another department or were taken against medical advice.
Conclusion: We concluded that children below 5 years constituted the major load of the patients in our PICU.
- Article View: 44
- PDF Download: 115