A STUDY ON MORPHOMETRIC STUDY OF RADIAL NERVE AND ITS VARIATIONS
European Journal of Molecular & Clinical Medicine,
2020, Volume 7, Issue 11, Pages 6281-6295
AbstractBackground: Radial nerve is the largest branch (C5, 6, 7, 8, T1) from the posterior cord of brachial plexus. Knowledge of radial nerve is not only useful for anatomist but also for plastic surgeons, orthopedicians and physiotherapists. Radial nerve injury is most common nerve injury complicating fracture of humerus. Radial nerve injury is commonly seen in humerus shaft fracture surgery when performing in the radial groove and in the supracondylar region .
Methodology: In the present study, a total of 100 upper limb specimens were dissected and studied. After thorough dissection and notification of observations the relevant photographs of the same were taken. The observations made were tabulated, statistically, analysed and compared with earlier studies.
Results:In the present study the average length from tip of the posterior lateral aspect of the acromion to the lateral epicondyle was 27.9 cm. The radial nerve was found to be in direct contact with the position humerus from 17.1cm to 10.8cm proximal to the central aspect of lateral epicandyle of humerus. The length of contact of radial nerve with the posterior humerus was (6.9 ± 0.9 cm). It was found that in 80% of specimens the radial nerve divided into two terminal branches (superficial branch of radial nerve and deep branch of radial nerve) and in the remaining 20% specimens it divided into three branches the third being the nerve to extensor carpi radialis brevis. The radial nerve divided above the level of lateral epicondyle in 77% of specimens, at the level of lateral epicondyle in 8% and below the level of lateral epicondyle in 15% of specimens. The distance from the point of division of radial nerve into terminal branches to the level of lateral epicondyle is with the mean length of 2.7 ± 0.1 cm.
Conclusion: Hence gross anatomical knowledge of radial nerve’s origin, course, branches, distribution and communication is of vital importance. Anatomical variation of radial nerves are important to medical personnel especially to orthopedicians, radiologist, neurophysicians plastic surgeons and physiotherapists for surgical planning and avoidance of iatrogenic injury to nerve during surgeries, nerve grafting, neurophysiologic evaluation to diagnose neuropathies.
- Article View: 144
- PDF Download: 60